News

• Stephanie Scott
    Posted by Victoria Bennion
    4 weeks 1 day ago
    0 comments

I am editing again. I am sitting at my desk and there are piles of books stacked around me (yes, very like a fort), only where once not so long ago, I was nervously polishing my manuscript for submission to the Bridport First Novel Prize, now I am editing it for global publication.

• Terry Warren's wet notebook
    Posted by Victoria Bennion
    6 months 4 weeks ago
    0 comments

"My 2017 Bridport Prize entry ‘Buttercups’ was mostly roughed out in indecipherable biro scrawl on the inside of my forearm whilst out walking. Clearly this is not a particularly efficient method of note-taking.."

Terry Warren won the Flash Fiction competition and the Dorset Award in 2017. In this blog he tells of four things he has leant about being a writer since his win.

• Aki Schilz
    Posted by Victoria Bennion
    7 months 2 weeks ago
    0 comments

We’ve all heard of boosting creativity, but when I talk about managing it, writers often react with suspicion; something like creativity can’t (oughtn’t!) be managed, surely?

• Daljit Nagra
    Posted by Victoria Bennion
    8 months 50 minutes ago
    0 comments

Perhaps what we look for in a good piece of literature is to know the writer has put their shoulders against the great wheel of kind, thoughtful words that are well mannered and politely phrased.

• Monica Ali
    Posted by Administrator
    8 months 2 weeks ago
    0 comments

• Mary-Jane Holmes
    Posted by Administrator
    8 months 3 weeks ago
    0 comments

The blank page can be daunting like snow drifts or an ice plain you can’t walk around. Even the most established writers know the frustration of a seeming lack of imagination or fresh ideas.

• Swan Song
    Posted by Victoria Bennion
    9 months 1 week ago
    0 comments

Last week I had the extraordinary, deeply moving experience of opening an envelope that had
    been delivered to my doorstep, removing a copy of a book within.

Not just any book…

My book.

• Posted by Victoria Bennion
    1 year 6 months ago
    0 comments

Somerset Maugham said, “There are three secrets to writing a novel.

• Posted by Victoria Bennion
    1 year 7 months ago
    0 comments

Our Novel Award judge has made this video blog for those of you hoping to enter the Bridport Prize.

• Peter Hobbs
    Posted by Victoria Bennion
    1 year 8 months ago
    0 comments

It’s still a couple months before entries for the Bridport short story prize begin to find their way to me.

Pages

What now?

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates